Diabetic & Overweight?
You may have fatty liver disease.
Local diabetes research studies enrolling now.
- Payment varies by study up to $750
- No-cost study-related care from a local doctor
- No-cost study medication
COVID-19 update — we remain open.
For the safety of both staff and patients, we require that our research sites are COVID-19 SMART facilities. That means they use best practices to reduce virus exposure and are dedicated to ensuring they remain open and available for the research of investigational medications.
COVID-19 SMART steps we are taking to ensure safety include:
- Greatly increased availability of video office visits
- Ensuring social distancing measures are taken in all waiting areas
- Continuing the practice of cleaning and disinfecting exams rooms thoroughly between every patient visit
- Appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) for all staff members at our health clinics
If you have Type 2 diabetes or obesity, you may be familiar with the potential risks to your heart, kidneys and nerves. But did you know you’re also at higher risk for fatty liver disease?
- In fact, more than 70 percent of people with type 2 diabetes and obesity have silent liver disease that isn’t related to alcohol use.
- It’s called non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), and it means there is too much fat in your liver. This can lead to inflammation and scarring of the liver (NASH) and, in severe cases, cirrhosis and liver cancer.
- In most cases, people don’t experience symptoms of liver disease until the damage has already occurred.
- If you have diabetes, you can help protect your health by managing your sugar levels, weight, blood pressure and cholesterol levels. However, lifestyle changes and medications don’t work for everyone with diabetes.
Right now, local doctors are conducting research studies evaluating study medications for adults with Type 2 diabetes who may also have fatty liver disease. You may be eligible to participate!
You may qualify for local research studies. But don’t delay — space is limited.